27.6.11

Grazie Italia!


I started packing my bags. I feel exactly like I did 8 months ago when I arrived to Italy for the first time to live one of the best periods in my life. But everything comes to an end and now it’s time to depart and search for other possibilities and chances on the other side of the Atlantic.

The last days I’ve been surrounded by this feeling of nostalgia that invades your mind when you know that something is coming to an end. I have lived amazing experiences in this country that I have loved since I was a little kid at school, and today I can finally say that I made it, that I went here and I experienced what it means to live in Italy, in a country that is also mine.

What’s the balance of these months? Absolutely positive. I felt part of this country and the things that happened while I was here.

I never felt excluded. In general, Italians are happy and warm people that make you feel like you are one of them without differences. Italy gave me the chance to get my residence here and to vote. So. I can say that I also voted 3 times as an Italian resident! I had the opportunity to go to Rome to celebrate the 150 years of the unity too!

In Italy I learned that being a good citizen and a gentle human being is more important than working long hours like a robot and being productive. I learned the importance of having good friends around that could help you in the moments of sadness and loneliness, when you start thinking about your relatives that are far away.

Italy taught me the importance of the smells, the tastes, the colors and the art. This amazing country taught me the meaning of belonging to a place, to a land that you can call yours and it could be a little town, a district or a city. Italian people have a very special relationship with their cities and the places where they were born. And that made me think that I also should be proud of who I am and the place where I belong.

I’m leaving and I don’t know if I will come back someday. But I thought this post was necessary as a tribute for the country that I called home for the last 8 months. Grazie Italia! Arrivederci

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'r making me emotional.. :'(

Ornella