23.4.11

Life is made of changes

For good or for bad, this is the only truth: life is made of changes

Six months ago I couldn't imagine I was going to make it and finally go to Italy (the country of my dreams) to start studying a Master in Communication for International Relations, something that I wanted to do since I took a course in International Information at college in 2006.

Now I'm attending the last lessons and in less than a month I will finish.

Time is in a rush. I'm 25 now and I have a lot of dreams, expectations and projects. This travel to Italy has been amazing for me. First I had the opportunity to confront myself, to realise finally if I was able to make it on my own, to live alone and deal with all the routines of a normal life. I have to say that the adaptation process in Italy has been really easy. People is fantastic in this country. I've met so many nice and caring people and I know that some of them will be my friends for life.

I visited Milan, Genova, Rome, the Borromeo Islands and now I'm in Salerno, the city located in the Campania Region where everything started, where my family comes from.

Tomorrow I will depart to Santa Maria di Castellabate (the little town where my father and my aunts were born) and I will meet new aunts and cousins I haven't seen yet.

This visit to Salerno and Santa Maria di Castellabate  for me represents a connection with the past, with my past I should say. This is the incredible opportunity life has given me to know better who I am and all the sacrifices the previous generations did for us, the young ones.
 
I had the opportunity to re-evaluate things, see them from a different perspective and understand how lucky I really am.

Today I received bad news too: The Agustin Codazzi school, where I did elementary and secondary school, won't open on the next academic year due to economic problems. This is very sad for all of us who had the chance to study there and learn Italian since a very young age and it's a big loss for all the Italian-Venezuelan community. This reaffirms that we have to take every opportunity, we have to live every day and take the best of each experience because we don't know when it's going to end.

Next week I will be back to Milan, then I will stay for a week in Washington and New York and I will return to Milan and stay there until the end of June. From July to October I will be in New York to complete an internship at the United Nations and then I don't know what I'm going to do. And even if doubts invade my mind and I'm worried about my future, I know that I did the right choice and I'm so glad for having lived this year as a happy and PROUD NOMAD!

No comments: